SQL Server® 2008 R2 expands on the value delivered in SQL Server® 2008 to help your organization scale with confidence and improve IT and developer efficiency with new and enhanced tools for application and multi-server management, master data services and complex event processing. The new Self Service BI capabilities will empower end users to access, integrate, analyze and share information using business intelligence tools they already know - Microsoft® Office.
The Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 August Community Technology Preview (CTP) includes Application and Multi-server Management which will help organizations manage database environments efficiently at scale with increased visibility and control across the application lifecycle. Also included is Report Builder 3.0 with support for geospatial visualization (mapping, routing, custom shapes) which can help produce new insights and discoveries well beyond what can be achieved with standard tables and charts when geospatial data is combined with business information. Microsoft® SQL Server® StreamInsight will also be made available for Community Technology Preview in the coming weeks. This new complex event processing technology will help businesses derive better insights by correlating event streams from multiple sources with near-zero latency.
Key features in this CTP release include:
- A new Control Point Explorer for central multi-instance and application utilization management.
- Built-in wizards to help you quickly set up and enroll instances and Data-Tier Application components into central management.
- Dashboard viewpoints for quick insight into application and instance utilization.
- Report Builder 3.0 with new support for geospatial visualization.
- StreamInsight core technology engine.